It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tick-Tock
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:48 pm
Posts: 12710
Location: People don't believe lies because they have to, but because they want to
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

A SECOND US aircraft carrier arrived in Middle Eastern waters today as promised by US President George W Bush amid an escalating crisis with nearby Iran over its nuclear program.

The USS John C Stennis and its accompanying strike group joined the USS Dwight D Eisenhower in the Sea of Oman but has not yet entered Gulf waters, the US Fifth Fleet said from its base in Manama.

The Stennis "entered the US 5th Fleet area of operations ... to conduct maritime security operations in regional waters, as well as to provide support for ground forces operating in Afghanistan and Iraq", said a US statement.

Mr Bush on January 10 unveiled his new strategy for Iraq which included deploying a second aircraft carrier group and a Patriot anti-missile defence system "to reassure our friends and allies".

Washington accuses arch-foe Tehran of stoking the insurgency in Iraq and of seeking to develop a nuclear bomb, charges denied by the Islamic republic.

Days after Mr Bush's announcement, US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said the Stennis's redeployment was a signal to Iran, which, he said, has a "very negative" attitude.

Iran has also been carrying out military exercises in the region, including test-firing missiles and building drones that military commanders boasted could hit the US navy.

The White House has repeatedly insisted it has no plans to strike Iran, and downplayed the significance of reinforcing the US military presence in the Gulf region.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:32 am
Posts: 1537
Quote:
The Stennis "entered the US 5th Fleet area of operations ... to conduct maritime security operations in regional waters, as well as to provide support for ground forces operating in Afghanistan and Iraq", said a US statement


Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Petreaus a Navy-Man,(and spells his name differently)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:50 am
Posts: 5846
Location: Florida
Watch how the Democrats play this -- they'll howl and scream publicly, secretly grateful they don't have to deal with it (or the .com bubble burst or 9-11 or Afghanistan or Iraq or the Florida Hurricanes or Katrina, Rita, and New Orleans).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:48 pm
Posts: 12710
Location: People don't believe lies because they have to, but because they want to
conservanation wrote:
Quote:
The Stennis "entered the US 5th Fleet area of operations ... to conduct maritime security operations in regional waters, as well as to provide support for ground forces operating in Afghanistan and Iraq", said a US statement


Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Petreaus a Navy-Man,(and spells his name differently)?


Nope.
http://www.wws.princeton.edu/qzalumni/t ... raeus.html

P.S. pay no attention to the advanced degrees, we all know that people only go into the Military because they are losers.


Last edited by grog on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:48 pm
Posts: 12710
Location: People don't believe lies because they have to, but because they want to
Matt Mattson wrote:
Watch how the Democrats play this -- they'll howl and scream publicly, secretly grateful they don't have to deal with it (or the .com bubble burst or 9-11 or Afghanistan or Iraq or the Florida Hurricanes or Katrina, Rita, and New Orleans).


The one thing that Bush still impresses me with is his determination to do what he thinks needs to be done against the Ragheads, without regard as to what the Dems think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:32 am
Posts: 1537
grog writes
Quote:
Nope.


Thanks for the link,grog.
I knew I could count on you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:23 pm
Posts: 14641
Location: The origin of the Super Derecho.
I read you can cut the tension in the air with a Warthog.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 2004
Location: Lakewood, CO
pity the navy does use em...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 9061
Location: Portland, Oregon
I don't know. I still think that Iran is posturing and that we shouldn't pay so much attention to the idiot.
But damn! That's one impressive boat!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 2004
Location: Lakewood, CO
um.... BOAT???? :outrage:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 9061
Location: Portland, Oregon
But this boat isn't as impressive, I don't think.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 2004
Location: Lakewood, CO
Please stop referring to it as a boat... please... your killing me. :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 23529
Location: Bitterville
Ahem!...

Carrier:

Image


Boat:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 9061
Location: Portland, Oregon
Nimitz class Air Craft Carrier.
That better??

(But I'm PRO ARMY since my kid's been in Boot camp!!!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 9061
Location: Portland, Oregon
Now this is a boat!! HEE HEE HEE!!! :pfft:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 15494
Location: Taxachusetts - Fighting for the survival of our Nation and our Heritage; current + 1815
Ahmadinejad would like nothing more than to take out a U.S. warship, preferably a carrier based on the notion that the U.S. was threatening Iran with imminent attack. He can also be expected to immediately retaliate upon a first strike.

I hope the Navy has 'their ducks in a row' in terms of defenses against an Iranian missile attack! This would be a very bad time/place for another major intelligence failure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 10575
Location: West Springs, SC
Mellyn66 wrote:
I don't know. I still think that Iran is posturing and that we shouldn't pay so much attention to the idiot.
But damn! That's one impressive boat!!
Image


Can one of you carrier guys answer this? I asked the guys at the Naval Aviation Museum, and they thought that they might be antennas.

It's those long poles hanging over the edge of the carrier. I know that they are positioned all around the carrier. Are they antennas they serve as landing aids for the returning flights to position the ship?

If they are landing aids, can they be turned OFF quickly to not help an enemy?

All answers appreciated.
Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 23529
Location: Bitterville
Observer1776 wrote:
Mellyn66 wrote:
I don't know. I still think that Iran is posturing and that we shouldn't pay so much attention to the idiot.
But damn! That's one impressive boat!!
Image


Can one of you carrier guys answer this? I asked the guys at the Naval Aviation Museum, and they thought that they might be antennas.

It's those long poles hanging over the edge of the carrier. I know that they are positioned all around the carrier. Are they antennas they serve as landing aids for the returning flights to position the ship?

If they are landing aids, can they be turned OFF quickly to not help an enemy?

All answers appreciated.
Thanks.


Curb scrapers; so you don't scratch the carrier when parallel parking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:23 pm
Posts: 14641
Location: The origin of the Super Derecho.
:ha:

Autozone sells them in certain neighborhoods.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:50 am
Posts: 5846
Location: Florida
AvgDude wrote:
Observer1776 wrote:
Mellyn66 wrote:
I don't know. I still think that Iran is posturing and that we shouldn't pay so much attention to the idiot.
But damn! That's one impressive boat!!
Image


Can one of you carrier guys answer this? I asked the guys at the Naval Aviation Museum, and they thought that they might be antennas.

It's those long poles hanging over the edge of the carrier. I know that they are positioned all around the carrier. Are they antennas they serve as landing aids for the returning flights to position the ship?

If they are landing aids, can they be turned OFF quickly to not help an enemy?

All answers appreciated.
Thanks.


Curb scrapers; so you don't scratch the carrier when parallel parking.


Anyone who's been around knows they're trolling for marlin using a teaser and outriggerd mains.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 2004
Location: Lakewood, CO
Any chance they are there to catch a plane in case it misses the wire and falls off the side?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:54 pm
Posts: 1191
Location: Illinois +3122
Sweet... More cruise missiles in the Gulf now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:36 am
Posts: 5301
Location: Decide for yourself to win or quit; thenceforth, never quit.
grog wrote:
Matt Mattson wrote:
Watch how the Democrats play this -- they'll howl and scream publicly, secretly grateful they don't have to deal with it (or the .com bubble burst or 9-11 or Afghanistan or Iraq or the Florida Hurricanes or Katrina, Rita, and New Orleans).


The one thing that Bush still impresses me with is his determination to do what he thinks needs to be done against the Ragheads, without regard as to what the Dems think.


Yup, fixin' the broken sewer main while the libs try to distract him by pissin' on 'im.

"You don't need nearly that many words: Just tell them the reports of our victory's demise are greatly exaggerated."
-- Sammy Clemens --


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:48 pm
Posts: 12710
Location: People don't believe lies because they have to, but because they want to
titan wrote:
Ahmadinejad would like nothing more than to take out a U.S. warship, preferably a carrier based on the notion that the U.S. was threatening Iran with imminent attack. He can also be expected to immediately retaliate upon a first strike.

I hope the Navy has 'their ducks in a row' in terms of defenses against an Iranian missile attack! This would be a very bad time/place for another major intelligence failure.


I would expect (and also hope) that both of these strike groups are well-prepared to defend against the Iranian missle threat. I would also expect that there is a plan in place to pretty much sink the entire Iranian Navy present in the Gulf once hostilities commence. If they don't sink every Iranian vessel they can find then that will not bode well for future shipping through that area. We CAN deprive them of the bulk of their Military without putting boots on the ground...and I hope we do it soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:24 am
Posts: 2425
Location: Mostly Dead
We can't attack them now. We'll destroy the cure for AIDS. :sheesh:

There is something wrong with that story - on several different levels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:20 pm
Posts: 4084
Location: Yes, I Read My Bible. Every Night!
Since the ship is a woman, could they be like those wirey hairs that old women get on their chins, you know, the one's that grow out of warts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 pm
Posts: 4785
Location: Circling the monetary black hole
This is a good move. I think Imahandjob is posturing as well, but he needs to learn just how dangerous that game can be. He won't attack the carrier first, be may seem crazy but I doubt he is stupid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:48 pm
Posts: 12710
Location: People don't believe lies because they have to, but because they want to
I think it is almost time for the wake-up call....

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20070222 ... -8914r.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 23529
Location: Bitterville
madsquirrel wrote:
Any chance they are there to catch a plane in case it misses the wire and falls off the side?


If I were to take a serious guess, I'd say they may have something to do with communicating with submarines or below horizon objects.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Massachusetts
It would be truly funny if something started up with Iran. It would make liberals apoplectic. (And I'm always up for making liberals apoplectic.) :nod:

-Iacobus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:23 pm
Posts: 14443
Location: Psalm 139
Observer1776 wrote:
Mellyn66 wrote:
I don't know. I still think that Iran is posturing and that we shouldn't pay so much attention to the idiot.
But damn! That's one impressive boat!!
Image


Can one of you carrier guys answer this? I asked the guys at the Naval Aviation Museum, and they thought that they might be antennas.

It's those long poles hanging over the edge of the carrier. I know that they are positioned all around the carrier. Are they antennas they serve as landing aids for the returning flights to position the ship?

If they are landing aids, can they be turned OFF quickly to not help an enemy?

All answers appreciated.
Thanks.


Whip antennas. They can rotated to different positions. Not good to have them up during flight ops for obvious reasons. Not landing aides.

When I did my disassociated tour, I qualified Officer-of-the-Deck on one of those dreadnoughts. 4 1/2 acres of soveriegn US territory anywhere, anytime or 90,000 tons of run your arse over. Fun either way. :)

BTW, the new commander of US Central Command is Admiral "Fox" Fallon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:20 pm
Posts: 4084
Location: Yes, I Read My Bible. Every Night!
AvgDude wrote:
madsquirrel wrote:
Any chance they are there to catch a plane in case it misses the wire and falls off the side?


If I were to take a serious guess, I'd say they may have something to do with communicating with submarines or below horizon objects.


I still like my Old Lady's Wart Whiskers....you think you're soooo smart don't you...you probably are


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 9061
Location: Portland, Oregon
Stu wrote:
BTW, the new commander of US Central Command is Admiral "Fox" Fallon.


Nice!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:20 am
Posts: 22323
Location: Occupying only 4 of the 11 dimensions
Mellyn66 wrote:
But this boat isn't as impressive, I don't think.
Image


Hate to disagree with you, Mel, but a CVN with planes on the catapult is a lot more impressive than one with planes parked on the deck.

Like a loaded gun is more impressive than an unloaded one...

And: Navy People get upset when you call a ship a boat.

A CVN is a ship.

A submarine, however, is always a boat.

Go figure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:23 pm
Posts: 14443
Location: Psalm 139
Starman wrote:
And: Navy People get upset when you call a ship a boat.

A CVN is a ship.



Well, maybe to the "black shoes" (Surface Navy). Aviators refer to the Carrier as "The Boat" if not only to antagonize the "shoes".


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arthodd, doc trock, Ray Gun, SlammerBC and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group