It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 pm 

Location: OH IO! Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Velenn wrote:
Blue Rose wrote:
I am reading (listening to the audio version) the last book to date in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series - An Echo In the Bone. I am dreading reaching the end of this series and waiting for the next book.

I have listened to the entire series back to back over the last couple of months (one of the good things about having a long commute) and it is a great story line. At the time I downloaded them, all but two of the books were available through Audible.com in unabridged format and read by Davina Porter - she has an incredible talent for bringing the charachters to life. The two books that were abridged (Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes) were read by the one dimensional Geraldine James - and she almost ruins the series. A Breath of Snow and Ashes is now available at Audible/Amzaon unabridged and read by Davina - don't waste anytime with Geraldine's if you take on the audio series.

I wasn't familiar with this series but I looked it up and it looks promising. Thanks for the heads up.

Let me know what you think, :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 am 

Location: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
The People Of The Abyss Jack London
&
Aesop's Fables

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:39 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 pm 

Right now I am reading: Image

It's a collection of stories about the Imperial Guard in Warhammer 40,000. The Imperial Guard are some of the best stories because the Guardsman is nothing more than a human. They don't have the psychic powers of the Navigators. They don't have the body augmentations and the power armor of the Space Marine's. What they do have, is courage, guts, and tanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 pm 

Rainbow7 wrote:

This sounds really good. I need to get this book. Thanks for posting it, Rainbow.

I'ver read that there were so many ex-Wermacht soldiers in the French Foreign Legion serving in Indochina during the 1950's that the Battle of Dienbienphu in 1954 is called "The Last Stand of the Wermacht".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:29 pm 

The Life and Wars of Curtis LeMay by Warren Kozak. It is excellent. We need a LeMay to firebomb Af-crap-istan like he did with the Japs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 pm 

Moon Shot by Deke Slayton and Alan Shepard. Well written account about the development of the space program.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:55 pm 

Cheney's autobiography on my Kindle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:02 pm 

Nursing manuals. :cry2:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:22 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:13 pm 

Three biographies of the former Princess of Wales, Diana.

What a very badly screwed up young woman, she was. Living with the royals did not help.
Chances are, had she continued romancing Dodi Fayed, she would have been messed up even
more, if that's possible.

By the way, her second son, Harry, does indeed look like her lover, Capt. Hewitt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:36 am 

I just finished the Star Wars: Legacy of the Force series so I'm now reading Demonic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 pm 

I'm already done with Demonic -- another great one from Ann. I liked the history lesson on the French Revolution, and I'm now interested in reading more about it. The best thing about the book, of course, is Ann's wit and humor.

I always finish Ann's books so quickly because they're hard to put down.

I'm now starting Thomas Sowell's "A Conflict of Visions".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:30 pm 

David Fredosso's "Gangster Government" about Obama's thugocracy and David Limbaugh's, "Crimes against Liberty", which also is an indictment against Obama. Love' em.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:59 pm 

After America - Mark Steyn

A great and fun read. The man can write very well and is very clever. He also drives his point home.

on edit:

Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

A refreshing very good book to read.
http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story-Su ... 241&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:37 pm 

sherwood wrote:
David Fredosso's "Gangster Government" about Obama's thugocracy and David Limbaugh's, "Crimes against Liberty", which also is an indictment against Obama. Love' em.

Limbaugh's book is excellent! He's an excellent writer and he's done his homework. I finished it a few months ago and I highly recommend it.
:wave:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:40 pm 

Null wrote:
I'm already done with Demonic -- another great one from Ann. I liked the history lesson on the French Revolution, and I'm now interested in reading more about it. The best thing about the book, of course, is Ann's wit and humor.

I always finish Ann's books so quickly because they're hard to put down.

I'm now starting Thomas Sowell's "A Conflict of Visions".

I'm the same way with Ann's books. I usually read them in a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm 

I finished Sowell's "A Conflict of Visions". Great book; I highly recommend it.

Now I'm reading Sowell's "The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy". It's similar to "A Conflict of Visions" in that he is comparing the constrained/tragic vision (generally conservative) with the unconstrained/anointed vision (generally liberal). The difference is that while he objectively reviewed the history of the two visions in "A Conflict of Visions" he attacks the unconstrained/anointed vision in "The Vision of the Anointed".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:46 pm 

ROGUE

Sarah Palin's book

Everybody should read this, it would be clear she is the right candidate for the right time.

400 pages , got a hundred left.

Really explains the foolishness of Queeg's campaign and Steve {spit} Schmidt his manager and why we have Obama.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:27 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:48 pm 

Tarah wrote:

just finished..........now i've gotta decide what i'm gonna read next!

believe it or not, i'm actually thinking i'll read the classic Wilson Rawls tale WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS. i noticed it monday as i walked by my bookshelf and wondered if it's available on the Kindle. sure enough, it was there so i downloaded it. then i noticed a 2003 production in STARZ this afternoon...i think God is trying to tell me something.

i've read it enough to know i better have a box of tissue with me at all times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 pm 

patentlymn wrote:
After America - Mark Steyn

A great and fun read. The man can write very well and is very clever. He also drives his point home.

on edit:

Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

A refreshing very good book to read.
http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story-Su ... 241&sr=8-1

Finished Going Rogue Sarah Palin and now am several chapters into After America,

Finally someone else who gets it, ie, just how horrible it will be if we don't slam the brakes on hard and do a 180.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:45 pm 

Location: The West and the Muslim world will never share the same values
Finished Dinesh D'Souza's Roots of Obama's Rage.

About 2/3rds through Demonic.

Things they did not teach me of in college.... or high school....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 pm 

THS2254 wrote:
sherwood wrote:

Limbaugh's book is excellent! He's an excellent writer and he's done his homework. I finished it a few months ago and I highly recommend it.
:wave:

Another Limbaugh book, Persecution, is also an informative read. This came out some time ago but is relevant. It includes a summary of the history of education in America.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 pm 

anti-apparatchik wrote:
Another Limbaugh book, Persecution, is also an informative read. This came out some time ago but is relevant. It includes a summary of the history of education in America.

i totally agree.......PERSECUTION is a must-read! :wave:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 am 

Now I'm reading Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics. It is a great reference book for countering all kinds of economic fallacies, and for learning about economics in general. It's an easy read, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 am 

My inner child has been quite demanding lately so I'm reading to him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 pm 

Grand Pursuit: The Story of Economic Genius by Sylvia Nasar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:13 am 

Just started it. It's kind of paced like a Swedish movie so it's a little slow starting. But most Swedish movies I've seen have been well worth watching so I am confident this Swedish novel will be well worth reading as well.

Update after 100 or so pages:
I was right. Once the main plot line gets started it's quite engaging.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:33 pm 

A few chapters into:

Written in a "whodunit" murder mystery fashion. Not your fathers history book.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:37 am 

Tarah wrote:
Tarah wrote:

just finished..........now i've gotta decide what i'm gonna read next!

believe it or not, i'm actually thinking i'll read the classic Wilson Rawls tale WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS. i noticed it monday as i walked by my bookshelf and wondered if it's available on the Kindle. sure enough, it was there so i downloaded it. then i noticed a 2003 production in STARZ this afternoon...i think God is trying to tell me something.

i've read it enough to know i better have a box of tissue with me at all times.

i finished reading WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS over a week ago........i now know where i acquired my love for dogs. i first read this book before i had my first dog; there was something about Billy's connection with his dogs and their behaviour with him that really touched me. i also realize this further solidified my relationship with God; even with bad things happen (like getting cancer again) i know there is a reason and i am never ever alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 pm 

I just finished "Nightwoods" by Charles Frazier. A very compelling read, I could draw comparasions to Faulkner, and not be far off of the mark. Big rambling descriptive sentences. Tedious character developement, attention to detail, and demanding of your attention. Periodically accurate.

This book left me wanting more, as all good literature does.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:15 pm 

Just finished "Founding Brothers" - The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis .

Good book with much information. Historical letters and diaries and much info that is never taught in standard American History classes from Elementary , to Jr.Hi , and Sr. Hi. Schools.

I would recommend this book to everyone , whether you are a gray-haired person or a teenager. Fascinating stuff with much intrigue and lies and trickery and honor and back-stabbing and rivalry and comradeship.
Much time is spent on John Adams and his wife Abigail , and T.J. . The author goes into great depth exposing the :loopy: :panic: :chuckle: mind/thinking of Thomas Jefferson.

I have for many years thought that the 3rd President had some serious mental/moral/philosophical problems. This book illustrates many of them. Read especially Jefferson's plots against G.W. and denials and his ploys/plots against John Adams and his denials about them... vveerrrryy innterressstinggg. T.J. was in love with the Frenchies , and their murderous revolution.

:popcorn:

{ btw - I agree with Jefferson in his disagreement with Hamilton , ie ; Farmers/landowners/agriculture rather than Big Banks and Big Money Institutions , Big Merchants and phoney finances , which we have had for decades now. }

Also mentioned and examined are : Hamilton , Burr , George Washington {-IMO- G.W. should have been given a few more pages , but,,, actually G.W. was not the problem... It was the others around him that caused much noise and interference and bickering...} , Madison , some Ben Franklin , Monroe , and some John Quincy Adams.

This book would also be good for any of our Canadian cousins and U.K. cousins to read and help give some insights into those guys who made a big noise in 1776 , and then had the even harder task of forming a new nation from scratch. Anyone can start a rebellion , but to actually form a working government by talking and arguing and writing and compromising and then voting... well , that is very difficult.

Get - Borrow - read / listen to this book folks !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:28 pm 

Finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" which turned out to be a missing person mystery/(very) dysfunctional family saga/financial corruption tale. Excellent read so naturally I went and picked up;

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 pm 

Geez, I've been reading so many really great works of fiction lately that I've
switched over to reading non-fiction.

One of my hobbies is the cosmetics industry so I am reading The Beauty Bibleby Paula Begoun. So far I've learned that we gals have all been duped
by words like "hypoallergenic" and " Dermatogolist tested." There is no such
thing as either. I hate being lied to, and this book really opened up my eyes about a lot of dirty little lies foisted upon us by the beauty industry. :pout:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next