03/01/17 - HOW TO PROVIDE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE USING THIS ONE EASY TRICK

Ann Coulter's Weekly Column
Now open for public comments.
All Opinions welcome but please keep it clean and respectful.
If you want to enjoy more of what the ACOC forum has to offer, please register.
kermit
Forum Moderator

03/01/17 - HOW TO PROVIDE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE USING THIS ONE EASY TRICK

#1 Post by kermit » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Ann Coulter wrote:HOW TO PROVIDE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE USING THIS ONE EASY TRICK

March 1, 2017

The first sentence of Congress' Obamacare repeal should read: "There shall be a free market in health insurance.”

Right there, I've solved the health insurance crisis for 90 percent of Americans. Unfortunately, no one can imagine what a free market in health care looks like because we haven't had one for nearly a century.

On NBC's "Meet the Press" this weekend, for example, Chuck Todd told Sen. Tom Cotton that his proposal to create affordable health care that would be widely available, "sounds good," but "do you understand why some people think that's an impossible promise to keep?”

(The "do you understand ...?" formulation is a condescension reserved only for conservatives, whose disagreement with liberals is taken as a sign of stupidity.)

Todd continued: "To make it affordable, making it wider, I mean, that just seems like -- you know, it seems like you're selling something that can't be done realistically.”

Dream Sequence: Chuck Todd on Russia's "Meet the Press" after the fall of the Soviet Union: "Do you understand why some people think that's an impossible promise to keep? To make bread affordable, making it wider, I mean, that just seems like -- you know, it seems like you're selling something that can't be done realistically.”

It turns out that, outside of a communist dictatorship, all sorts of products are affordable AND widely available! We don't need Congress to "provide" us with health care any more than we need them to "provide" us with bread. What we need is for health insurance to be available on the free market.

With lots of companies competing for your business, basic health insurance would cost about $50 a month. We know the cost because Christian groups got a waiver from Obamacare, and that's how much their insurance costs right now. (Under the law, it can't be called "insurance," but that's what it is.)

Even young, healthy people would buy insurance at that price, expanding the "risk-sharing pools" and probably bringing the cost down to $20 or $30 a month.

In a free market, there would be an endless variety of consumer-driven plans, from catastrophic care for the risk-oblivious to extravagant plans for the risk-averse.

You know -- just like every other product in America.

You should visit America sometime, Chuck! The orange juice aisle in a Texas grocery store knocked the socks off Russian president Boris Yeltsin. (Imagine how cheap a double screwdriver must be in America!)

Just as there are rows of different types of orange juice in the grocery store –- and loads of grocery stores -- there will be loads of health insurance plans and insurance companies offering them.

Americans would finally be able to buy whatever insurance plans they liked, as easily as they currently buy flat-screen TVs, cellphones and -- what's that product with the cute gecko in its commercials? I remember now! CAR INSURANCE!

Evidently, insurance is not impervious to the iron law of economics that every product sold on the free market gets better and cheaper over time.

The only complicated part of fixing health care is figuring out how to take care of the other 10 percent of Americans -- the poor, the irresponsible and the unlucky. And the only reason that is complicated is because of fraud.

Needless to say, the modern nanny state already guarantees that no one will die on the street in America. The taxpayer spends more than a trillion dollars every year on Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security disability insurance so that everyone's health is taken care of, from cradle to grave.

Unfortunately, probably at least half of that sum is fraud.

Policing fraud is difficult because: (1) the bureaucrats dispensing government benefits believe there is no fraud and, if there is, it's a good thing because it redistributes income; and (2) we keep bringing in immigrants for whom fraud is a way of life. (See "Adios, America! The Left's Plan to Turn Our Country Into a Third World Hellhole.”)

Consequently, after the first sentence establishing a free market in health insurance, the entire rest of the bill should be nothing but fraud prevention measures to ensure that only the truly deserving -- and the truly American -- are accessing taxpayer-supported health care programs.

I'd recommend sending as much as possible back to the states, and also paying bounties to anyone who exposes a fraud against Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security. Anyone caught committing health care fraud should get 10 years. Not in prison, in a Medicaid doctor's waiting room.

But I'm sure you guys in Congress have come up with lots of great ideas for policing fraud in the SEVEN YEARS you've had to think about it. (Hello? Is he breathing? Dammit, I'm not getting a pulse!!)

Then, Congress can start removing all the bad stuff from the U.S. Code, such as:

-- the requirement that hospitals provide "free" care to anyone who shows up (how about separate health clinics for poor people with the sniffles?);

-- the exemption of insurance companies from the antitrust laws (where all our problems began); and

-- the tax breaks only for employer-provided health insurance (viciously and arbitrarily punishing the self-employed).

The goal of "universal health care" is very simple to achieve, just as the goal of "universal wearing of clothing" seems to have been taken care of.

The government can provide for those who can't provide for themselves, but the rest of us need to be allowed to buy health insurance on the free market -- an innovation that has made America the richest, most consumer-friendly country in the world.

It's taken 50 years, but, thanks to Hillary's losing the election, we finally have liberals on the record opposing the Soviet Union. Can't all of Washington come together and end our soviet health care system?

COPYRIGHT 2017 ANN COULTER
DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

NewSlaveOrder

Re: 3/1/17 - HOW TO PROVIDE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE USING THIS ONE EASY TRICK

#2 Post by NewSlaveOrder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:01 am

Another idea that should be considered is eliminating Health Insurance Free Riding. e.g. Many large companies hire employees less than 30 hours to avoid paying health insurance benefits to "part time" workers.

The cure: Government to charge the free riding company a prorated share of Health Insurance cost based on a HI fee table. If 20 hours worked, 50% of the insurance table is due.

I would especially like to see big agriculture in CA pay HI for migrant workers.

jab0566

#3 Post by jab0566 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 am

Since Universal Health Care is going to be such a great deal, let's be sure and include all federal employees, and our three branches of government. On another subject, maybe it's time for term limits on our ruling class. Let's get rid of the "House of Lords" that we've allowed Congress to morph into.

ToddWB
Forum Moderator

#4 Post by ToddWB » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 am

jab0566 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 am
Since Universal Health Care is going to be such a great deal, let's be sure and include all federal employees, and our three branches of government. On another subject, maybe it's time for term limits on our ruling class. Let's get rid of the "House of Lords" that we've allowed Congress to morph into.
yeah.. they'd still try to give themselves better HC than would be available to their "subjects" ..

and term limits, I'm still trying to think that all the way through, I figure the demonrats will have a long line of clones to place in position.. still I agree with the disgust at the "Imperial Senate", may have been better when the States appointed them.

nobs

#5 Post by nobs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:09 pm

IMO I think that all health insurance may need to be purchased directly by the consumer using it in order to
have the proper free market effect of consumer interface with pricing.
(As in customers will shop around for the best pricing in Insurance & Doctor/Hospital Fees.)

Zeppo

#6 Post by Zeppo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Free hospitals for the indigent have been largely shutdown by frivolous lawsuits (My mom got shot six times in her home by a drug dealer but died in your hospital, I am suing the hospital for letting her die.). Something needs to be done to protect them from this.

alsatian

Re: 03/01/17 - HOW TO PROVIDE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE USING THIS ONE EASY TRICK

#7 Post by alsatian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Good article. There is an issue of equality lurking in this Healthcare debate. I think Democrats and Chuck Todd envision that the least among us has exactly as good a health insurance plan as the most successful and mature among us. But is this the only workable system? What if a poor person COULD CHOOSE to buy a health insurance plan that (1) provided healthcare for ordinary trauma (broken arm, cuts requiring stitches); (2) provided basic vaccines and yearly flu shots; (3) provided doctor office visits with a modest co-pay; and (4) provided a restricted menu of commonly prescribed drugs. Many things in this example plan would NOT be covered: no bypass surgeries, no extended stroke physical therapy coverage. If you have those problems, under this plan, sorry buddy . . . you are on your own. This kind of a plan could be affordable in a way where a full-up, all procedures are covered kind of policy. Alternatives such as this inexpensive albeit restricted coverage plan are disallowed under the current Democrat/liberal thinking. Allowing such alternatives to exist would be a good thing. I feel this is what Ann is suggesting. It is better to offer low grade Orange juice made from concentrate at a low price right next to the fresh squeezed, organic orange juice, from non-GMO orange trees, from an appellation controlled production site for 10 times the cost rather than force all options to a single option. This is what freedom looks like. This free market approach is a practical, viable approach.

davidmdavis
Location: WARNING: It has been determined that practicing Christianity may be hazardous to your health.

#8 Post by davidmdavis » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:09 am

ToddWB wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 am
and term limits, I'm still trying to think that all the way through, I figure the demonrats will have a long line of clones to place in position.. still I agree with the disgust at the "Imperial Senate", may have been better when the States appointed them.
Well, it was because of "Political Machines," in some small way, that caused the direct election of Senators. Can you imagine what would happen, in Illinois, or New York, if the "Clinton Machine" got to decide, indirectly, who the next Senator from New York or Illinois was. It's a crap shoot, either way.

Dave

James Pence

#9 Post by James Pence » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 am

The problem with Obamacare is that it treats welfare as insurance. Insurance was invented by shipowners in London two hundred years ago. They had a common risk: once in a while a ship would sink with a catestrophic loss. So, they protected themselves against this possible loss by ponying up money for insurance. If there was a greater than average risk---like say a ship was leaking or carrying explosives---that risk was insured differently but that extra cost was not forced upon the other owners in the existing pool.

Paying the bills for those with expensive existing conditions is a government decision not a business decision. It is more like welfare and these costs should paid by the taxpayer and not inflicted on those who buy insurance against ordinary risks.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Put the veterans on an improved form of Medicaid and let them see any doctor they want. Use the existing veterans medical facilities to provide care for those unable to pay.

davidmdavis
Location: WARNING: It has been determined that practicing Christianity may be hazardous to your health.

#10 Post by davidmdavis » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Ann Coulter wrote:You should visit America sometime, Chuck! The orange juice aisle in a Texas grocery store knocked the socks off Russian president Boris Yeltsin. (Imagine how cheap a double screwdriver must be in America!)
You mean a screwdriver with a philips head on one end and a flat head on the other?

Dave

paulh

#11 Post by paulh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:01 pm

When I worked for Ma Bell, for the first 18 years or so I paid zero for health ins. Then up until retirement they gave us funny money(say 5K) that we used to select our coverage. After retirement in 1993 and up until I turned 65 in 2009 I again paid zero. Then came Medicare. I now pay close to $4500 annually between Medicare and Verizon and the deductibles are crazy. It's not the lack of competition that caused this.

#12 Post by Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:17 pm

NewSlaveOrder wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:01 am
Another idea that should be considered is eliminating Health Insurance Free Riding. e.g. Many large companies hire employees less than 30 hours to avoid paying health insurance benefits to "part time" workers.

The cure: Government to charge the free riding company a prorated share of Health Insurance cost based on a HI fee table. If 20 hours worked, 50% of the insurance table is due.

I would especially like to see big agriculture in CA pay HI for migrant workers.

That is NOT a cure, it is metastasizing the disease! If ACA hadn't been passed then employers would not be cutting worker's hours. The best solution is to not dictate what benefits an employer must provide and allowing the Free Market to work. If an employer continues to get workers then the job and its benefits must be acceptable to those workers - the workers obviously know that benefits exist elsewhere but they have not left. If the workers cannot get employed elsewhere then one questions the worker's skills, work ethic, conscientiousness, and efficiency. A benefit is simply a proxy for additional pay. If someone pays you $40,000 per year and gives you a cadillac health insurance plan, then effectively they are paying (in cost to them) as much as $47,000 per year. Therefore, your performance in what you do for them must produce at least $47,000 worth of revenue to that employer. If is doesn't, then the employer is paying you $47,000 and taking a loss on your showing up. If that continues long enough, and if he has enough employees like you, then pretty soon that employer is out of business and you and the other employees are out of work. It is true that some jobs at an company provide support to other workers rather than produce revenue themselves, but even support personnel who sweep the floor or answer the phone need to act efficiently and with conscientiousness or their cost becomes a negative that can lead to the company failing. ON the other side of the coin, if an employer pays a salary and benefits, then that employer has the ability to attract the highest quality workers from businesses who do not offer that same combination of salary and benefits. If that business cannot attract the caliber of workers that it needs to succeed, then it will fail. SO the Free Market will take care of who works where, what they are paid, if they receive benefits, how many hours they are paid, and whether some businesses succeed or shut down. The Government only needs to defend our borders, keep the streets safe, and spend less time in D.C., and if they really must, throw a parade every year on July 4th.

SadPepe

#13 Post by SadPepe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Give the VA to the indigent.

Give the Vets the same health insurance Congress has.

Jugo

#14 Post by Jugo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 am

Ann Coulter wrote:HOW TO PROVIDE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE USING THIS ONE EASY TRICK

March 1, 2017

It's taken 50 years, but, thanks to Hillary's losing the election, we finally have liberals on the record opposing the Soviet Union. Can't all of Washington come together and end our soviet health care system?

COPYRIGHT 2017 ANN COULTER
DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION
[/quote]

I kept the last sentence as it is completely wrong. usa has nothing even remotely similar to the Soviet health system. Overpaid primadonnas posing as doctors, unable to actually cure people, driving expensive cars and cheating on their wives with public service ladies (if you catch my sms), medicines industry that calls itself DRUGS industry - and for a VERY good reason - complex and totally ineficient medical care system that is designed to fail in order to "prove"that "democratic capitalist private enterprise" is the önly viable"alternative - resulting in over 70% of usanians being dependant on valium and similar DDRUGS, now THAT's usanian "health"system.

Now, soviet health care system was never designed to win the beauty contest, and was not the best by any measure, but they were by far more capable than usa doctors are today.

And probably still are. Some habits die hard, you know? Like, oh I dunno, providing honest and professional service to patients, for example...

There's a reason why, and I bet you everything I have, which is very little, that you do not know this!, a lot of usanian "democratic capitalists"go to Cuba for medical services.

I go to Cuba regularly and see many elderly, but recently more and more young usanians too, getting off the plane and catching the first taxi to the hospital.

It's not a chance "bond" franchise centered Cuban health system as the motif of one of their movies, nor is a chance that whatshisname, the fat man made that documentary "Sicko", or such, I am not familiar with second rate cinematography of unholiwood..., featuring Cuban health care and making comparison with that capitalist industry in the usa you, in your childish ignorance call medicare.

After all, usa is the only capitalist country today that has the third world health care system.

Hmmm... now, what can we deduce from that fact?

Oh, this should help: Expenditure per capita Uganda 168 in the world, usa the first. Overall performance of the health system, Uganda 18 in the world, usa 37.

That was back in 2000. I have it on good authority that Uganda has progressed in both categories slightly upwards.

The usa paradise not so much. Much more likely in the opposite direction.

As it is to be expected: "The usa ranks BEHIND most countries on many measures of health outcomes, QUALITY, and EFFICIENCY. U.S. physicians face particular difficulties receiving timely information, coordinating care, and dealing with administrative hassles. Other countries have led in the adoption of modern health information systems, but U.S. physicians and hospitals are catching up as they respond to significant financial incentives to adopt and make meaningful use of health information technology systems."

SOURCE: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publica ... ror-mirror

Further privatising your already failure of the system will inevitably result in even higher costs to the patients (demand and the offer - great demand for, non-existent offer of the service = robbery-type of prices that very few people will be able to afford).

But hey. Don't let the common sense and sound logic stop you from failing even deeper in your own delusions.

kermit
Forum Moderator

#15 Post by kermit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 am

:laugh:

This took all of 20 seconds....

"On paper, Russian citizens are entitled to free universal health care. In practice, however, they are required to take out compulsory private medical insurance, while it’s also common for patients at state hospitals to bribe doctors for adequate treatment. Although hospitals in Moscow and St. Petersburg, the country’s two biggest cities, are largely serviceable, the situation is different in cash-strapped regions such as the province of Penza."

Jugo

#16 Post by Jugo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 am

Show us your sources for that claim, froggie. Russian sources of course. cnn, newsweek and alike fake news outlets (which you seem to be feeding off) do not count.

I would have thought that papa trumf explained to you the difference between the fake news outlets and real sources of info.

IAmAmerican

#17 Post by IAmAmerican » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:58 pm

First time forum user anywhere (not really fond of them, but for Ann, I'll make an exception, she speaks my language). I have stated before on several Republican questionnaires that I am opposed to the Federal government getting involved with health care of any kind, as my understanding of the Constitution doesn't support welfare or healthcare, among other subjects, as this Country was established as a Republic (not a subversive democracy), whereby its Citizen's were to be allowed to function as Adults (until proven otherwise). This meant you were allowed to make choices for yourself, suffering any consequences (good or bad) stemming from those choices, and along with those choices went the commensurate responsibility for those choices.

As I see it, to my understanding, we live in a playground with many sandboxes, the government is equivalent to the playground monitor which sets the framework for the playground and its rules for ensuring that everyone gets the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness that comes from playing in the playground. The individual sandboxes that inhabit the playground can play by their own rules as long as they operate under the playground framework.

The playground supervisor is responsible for seeing that everything is working according to the framework; then there is the playground advocate whose job is to settle disputes and misunderstandings between all parties, fairly, equitably, and free from influence.

Again, this is a simplified understanding of the subject, albeit lengthy, so for the shredders out there, go for it.

As for Commiecare, otherwise known as Obamacare or ACA, unless someone can produce evidence to the contrary, it is my understanding that the Biblical flood was the first repeal and replace, and if so, Look and Learn.

In my day (I'm 72 1/2 going on 73 (if i make it that far)) the County hospitals in the state that I live in indigent care provided to those who did not have health insurance, this was provided by taxes paid by taxpayers to enable this. As one of those was on the receiving end of that care, I was grateful that it was there as the first hospital I was transported to did not accept me as I had no insurance at the time, so I was summarily shipped to the nearest County hospital (I had an accidental catastrophic wound that left me bleeding profusely; fortunately for me, both my buddies that were with me, were former Vietnam Combat Medic's, to which I owe them my life).

If I am off topic in some sense, I apologize, it seems that I have a lot to unload and it just gets overwhelming at times.

In closing, I can only say that I have admired Ann for a long time as a woman with brains,beauty and intellect; reading her articles leaves me with more admiration for her style of in your face, plain talking, truth telling wit and humor. God Bless you Ann Coulter.

Thank you for humoring me.

pasman

#18 Post by pasman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:36 pm

I can't agree more with Ann's suggestion for healthcare. Life insurance used to be very expensive. Once it was available to purchase across state lines, it became incredibly inexpensive. The same should go with healthcare. I should be able to buy any type of insurance I want.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I'm currently working and receive health insurance. I was curious what it would cost if I bought insurance on my own. I've been pricing out different plans for the past 5 years, contemplating retiring. Insurance in Phoenix, AZ cost a whopping $1350 per month with a $15K deductible!!!! That's for anyone making over $60K per year. I don't know how anyone could afford that.

I should be able to purchase catastrophic care on my own with a high deductible.

Ann's suggestion is the simplest solution. Who cares if ObamaCare continues or dies. Leave it alone. But, let me do what I want and don't force me into it.

I suggest we start a petition.

RealityCheck

#19 Post by RealityCheck » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:51 pm

I like the idea of starting a Petition. Where do we begin? Obamacare is clearly not sustainable.

Jugo

#20 Post by Jugo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Poor little uneducated usanians. You know not better. Even when the history keeps repeating itself over and over, and over, AND over...

When was the last time the services REMAINED the same when the prices went DOWN?

Never.

If I couldn't see I would not believe how you people are gullible and so very much ignorant of the basics of economy. The prices can only go UP. Even when they seem to be going down.

Are you seriously that stupid to think that a private capitalist investor would give you more for less?

You have no idea how capitalism works and yet, you have only ever lived in capitalism.

You dumbos need to go to real schools.

In my defence, I keep forgetting that usanian de-education system is the worst in the world.

See, capitalist, private investors need to keep you deluded and misinformed so that you keep falling for these "fundamental principles"of capitalism which are nothing but a lie.

There is no such thing as "market competition". It's merely a play for the plebs to THINK there is such a thing. Proof: companies "merging"and buying each other DESTROY competition, and raise the prices of products and services.

There is no such thing as "inflation". It is merely a play (or ploy, if you will) for bankers (99% of them juden, so you draw your own conclusions from that) to make money while them sleeping and you working HARD. Proof: at 7% interest, in 10 years you will pay all of the money borrowed with the interest alone. Now think about the credit cards and their 20% interest they charge you...

And I could go on and on, but you sit down and start reading the real economy books.

You are being conned over, and over, AND over and you keep defending the people/system who are fleecing you off your hard earned money.

How idiotic is that??????

A LOT...

Jugo

#21 Post by Jugo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Have you all so demented and alzheimered that you all forgot the three amigos, led by that mexicano whatshisname, screwing up the services, the prices and the clients in the mobile phones market, by reducing the services to bare minimum, increasing the prices to where they were called highway robbers, and they then defended their actions by claiming "this is capitalism! We have responsibility to our SHAREHOLDERS, not to our clients!

THAT is your "free market" and "capitalism".

They are just a drop in the ocean of much of the same. How about the car industry of the usa?

How come it all fell apart with such a huge internal market ????

No, don't listen to the healthy common sense. Keep going on with your capitalist delusions. You are a failure in every sense, live in a bankrupted false "state"and have absolutely no chance of surviving the inevitable economic implosion that is awaiting.

Will be fun to sit, munch on popcorn and watch the usa disintegrating internally in huge explosions.

Don't worry, FEMA has you all covered. They have all the necessary coffins and conc camps in place should you wake up in the dying moments and try to put up resistance.

Long live the lords of "democratic capitalism"! For the people, the naive, the gullible and the deluded believers, they won't.

Jugo

#22 Post by Jugo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Why I am writing all this?

Let me explain. I love every article Ann Coulter writes. Like this one about the health care. Ann's plan is great and it would be super efficient.

But here's the thing for you nice but brainwashed people: Ann's plan is what we have had in Jugoslavija since the early 1960's. Ann's plan is pure socialism.

I don't know whether Ann is aware of that or not. But even if she is, coming from positions of a right wing commentator, she has realised what the common sense dictates, and what a solution for your "democratic" capitalism.

And the solution is a JUST, FAIR and SOCIALIST system.

I must emphasise this: juden -FREE socialist system. After all, we white people are incompatible with these turco-mogoloid impostors.

One day, and it will be too late on that particular day, you dumbos will finally understand that it was NEVER socialism (they brainwashed you to think that it was "communism") that was your enemy.

It was always your very own "democratic" capitalism.

After all, have you EVER asked yourselves WHY da frick is your health industry so heavily regulated, as Ann rightly pointed out - regulation apparently being a "socialist" system thing, not a capitalist thing, IF you live in capitalist usa???????????

Open your eyes deluded and brainwashed people. Your own "democratic" capitalist have been lying to you for a century now, turning you into the most hated people on Earth, poorer than your grandfathers, and so brainwashed, you are still fighting for their personal, private goals, screwing up your own wellfare so taht they can grow even more perversely rich, while you are scrapping for food.

kermit
Forum Moderator

#23 Post by kermit » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:59 pm

Jugo wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:37 pm
Poor little uneducated usanians. You know not better. Even when the history keeps repeating itself over and over, and over, AND over...

When was the last time the services REMAINED the same when the prices went DOWN?

Never.

:laugh:

Let me quickly spend another 20 seconds with you....

I'm reminded of my first computer system...dollars spent and capabilities...

ok....another 20 seconds....

I'm reminded of my first cell phone ......dollars spent and capabilities....

I read that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey was shutting down after all these years. You lost your job, didn't you? Is that why your so pissy all the time..... :shrug:

Jugo

#24 Post by Jugo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm

There's a stinky, rotten really, swamp across the ocean. It has a frog. Judging by the noise...

The facts are merciless, no doubt. The swamp is getting noisier by the second. But frogs aren't the problem.

It's the fire power of the swamp that is worrisome.

The swamp has a lot of methane, and it is releasing it constantly. I worry what will happen when the big blob comes out. Methane is highly explosive and combustible. The stench, first, and the fire, when the blob explodes, will cover the rest of the planet.

How can I not worry about that?

kermit
Forum Moderator

#25 Post by kermit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Jugo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm
There's a stinky, rotten really, swamp across the ocean. It has a frog. Judging by the noise...

The facts are merciless, no doubt. The swamp is getting noisier by the second. But frogs aren't the problem.

It's the fire power of the swamp that is worrisome.

The swamp has a lot of methane, and it is releasing it constantly. I worry what will happen when the big blob comes out. Methane is highly explosive and combustible. The stench, first, and the fire, when the blob explodes, will cover the rest of the planet.

How can I not worry about that?
"Since we now know that living plants emit lots of methane – which global warming alarmists maintain contributes to global warming – one could reason that all those celebrity-planted forests may be taking their toll in frog casualties."

Jugo

#26 Post by Jugo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Darn... I have an addicted groupie on my trail...

You love what I write, eh?

I mean, you keep coming back for more like there's no manana...

kermit
Forum Moderator

#27 Post by kermit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Jugo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:57 pm
Darn... I have an addicted groupie on my trail...

You love what I write, eh?

I mean, you keep coming back for more like there's no manana...
:love:

#29 Post by Guest » Mon May 29, 2017 2:26 pm

It would indeed be great if the free market can provide quality healthcare at a reasonable price. However merely asserting that such is true does not make it so. The free market is not some sort of magic that works in all cases but is just a man-made system that has numerous constraints like all such systems. The key requirement for the free market to drive down costs and raise quality or features for any product or serve is that supply and demand must be independent. Unfortunately for health care they are not and in this case supply draws demand (as is easily observed in databases such as the Dartmouth Health Atlas). This is likely due to the fact that what people want is "good health" but that is not for sale. What is for sale is various products and services claiming to offer better health (and I'm not talking about fraud and snake oil here). When you look at underserved communities as you add health care services costs go up (as people buy those products and services) but healthcare outcomes improve, so that's all good. But quite soon health care outcomes level off, but costs (purchases) continue to go up as more and more products and services are offered. This there must be some limit on what tax payer will pay for and some minimum requirements on what must be provided. The free market has no incentive to do so. This is due to the free market being a system where each actor does what is best for them (i.e. companies making money), not what is best for the community (providing only those services that will make a difference).

Or looked at another way the goal of the nation for healthcare is to provide good care for the lowest cost possible. But the goal for the healthcare industry (like any industry in the free market) is to make as much money as possible. These are fundamental at odds. We do not have a national goal to provide smart phones to all citizens at the lowest possible price, or cars or (sadly) even food. But we DO have such a goal for health care which is why government controls are key to restricting the free market. If a hospital wants to create a new heart surgery facility they should only be allowed to do so if that will in fact well serve the community (maybe that money can be better spent on more clinics, or more nurses, or more family physicians etc., or indeed maybe a heart surgery department IS needed but that decision can not be left up to the free market). In this particular case, studies clearly show that places that have an abundance of surgeons do a lot more surgeries, but are no more healthy than regions where far less such procedures are performed. This is not due to bad actors, its merely human nature and our own individual relationship to our own health which is why local, regional, and federal governments must intervene in the system.

Coulter doesn't even understand the basics when she makes statements like

"Even young, healthy people would buy insurance at that price, expanding the "risk-sharing pools" and probably bringing the cost down to $20 or $30 a month.
In a free market, there would be an endless variety of consumer-driven plans, from catastrophic care for the risk-oblivious to extravagant plans for the risk-averse.
You know -- just like every other product in America. "

But of ouse as I have pointed out, and is well know by anyone who has actually studied this issue, health care is NOT like "eery other product". If it were we never would be in this mess in the first place. The point of insurance is that everyone pays a modest coss so that no one pays a titanic cost AND actual needs (costs) are met. Allowing people to buy policies based on their current health only mandates that when they get sick those costs will be born by the tax payers and the insurance will not cover it, and that as they get older their plan costs will skyrocket. This naive model only works in a world where if you get sick and do not have the coverage to pay for your care we leave you out on the street to die. Is that the world Coulter is proposing?

The "easy trick" article is just a blind sop to the free market with out any actual understanding or analysis of health care systems.
-jrg

davidmdavis

#30 Post by davidmdavis » Mon May 29, 2017 3:29 pm

pasman wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I'm currently working and receive health insurance. I was curious what it would cost if I bought insurance on my own. I've been pricing out different plans for the past 5 years, contemplating retiring. Insurance in Phoenix, AZ cost a whopping $1350 per month with a $15K deductible!!!! That's for anyone making over $60K per year. I don't know how anyone could afford that.
You try explaining this to a liberal, and he'll tell you that someone with a "pre-existing" condition can now get "affordable" health care. Screw everyone else. That's the problem with Obamacare.

Dave

quackquack

#31 Post by quackquack » Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm

every govt attempt at health care 'reform' ignores the 800# gorillas in the room - THE GREEDY INSURANCE COMPANIES and MALPRACTICE COSTS (GREEDY LAWYERS) - take a look at the congressional voting for or against a health care bill - if the insurance co's are gonna take a hit all the representatives in the states with Big insurance cos in it vote no (e.g., MA) - it's all too obvious once ya look
:hello:
the AMA, the Lawyers orgs, and the insurance companies pay enough to our 'representatives' so that the 'health care' crisis remains that way - all the rest is hand-waving
:wave:
:zz:
:carryon: