Welcome New Members! Stop by here to say hello or dive into any topic!

04/26/27 - Not Building the Wall IS a Government Shutdown

Ann Coulter's Weekly Column
Now open for public comments.
All Opinions welcome but please keep it clean and respectful.
If you want to enjoy more of what the ACOC forum has to offer, please register.
kermit
Forum Moderator

04/26/27 - Not Building the Wall IS a Government Shutdown

#1 Post by kermit » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Ann Coulter wrote:Not Building the Wall IS a Government Shutdown

April 26, 2017

Fake News' question of the week: Will Trump risk a government shutdown over the wall?

The media flip back and forth on who's to blame for a government shutdown depending on which branch is controlled by Republicans. But the "shutdown" hypothetical in this case is a trick question.

A failure to build the wall IS a government shutdown.

Of course it would be unfortunate if schoolchildren couldn't visit national parks and welfare checks didn't get mailed on time. But arranging White House tours isn't the primary function of the government.

The government's No. 1 job is to protect the nation.

This has always been true, but it's especially important at this moment in history, when we have drugs, gang members, diseases and terrorists pouring across our border. The failure of the government to close our border is the definition of a government shutdown.

This isn't like other shutdowns. Democrats can't wail about Republicans cutting Social Security or school lunches. They are willing to shut the government down because they don't want borders.

Take that to the country!

As commander in chief, Trump doesn't need Congress to build a wall. The Constitution charges him with defending the nation. Contrary to what you may have heard from various warmongers on TV and in Trump's Cabinet, that means defending our borders -- not Ukraine's borders.

Building a wall is not only Trump's constitutional duty, but it's also massively popular.

Although Trump doesn't need congressional approval for a wall, it was smart for him to demand a vote. Let the Democrats run for re-election on opposing the wall.

Let Sen. Claire McCaskill explain to the parents of kids killed by illegals that she thought a wall was inhumane.

Let Sen. Angus King say to the people of Maine that instead of a wall that would block heroin from pouring into our country, he thought a better plan was to sponsor a bunch of treatment centers for after your kid is already addicted.

Let Sen. Chuck Schumer tell us why it's OK for Israel to have a wall, but not us.

Let open borders Republicans like Sen. Marco Rubio tell African-Americans that it's more important to help illegal aliens than to help black American teenagers, currently suffering a crippling unemployment rate.

Republicans are both corrupt and stupid, so it's hard to tell which one animates their opposition to the wall. But the Democrats are bluffing. They're trying to get the GOP to fold before they show us their pair of threes.

Now that Trump has capitulated on even asking for funding for a wall, the Democrats are on their knees saying, "Thank you, God! Thank you, God!"

No politician wants to have to explain a vote against the wall. What the Democrats want is for Trump to be stuck explaining why he didn't build the wall.

Then it will be a bloodbath. Not only Trump, but also the entire GOP, is dead if he doesn't build a wall. Republicans will be wiped out in the midterms, Democrats will have a 300-seat House majority, and Trump will have to come up with an excuse for why he's not running for re-election.

The New York Times and MSNBC are not going to say, "We are so impressed with his growth in office, we're going to drop all that nonsense about Russia and endorse the Republican ticket!"

No, at that point, Trump will be the worst of everything.

No one voted for Trump because of the "Access Hollywood" tape. They voted for him because of his issues; most prominently, his promise to build "a big beautiful wall." And who's going to pay for it? MEXICO!

You can't say that at every campaign rally for 18 months and then not build a wall.

Do not imagine that a Trump double-cross on the wall will not destroy the Republican Party. Oh, we'll get them back. No, you won't. Trump wasn't a distraction: He was the last chance to save the GOP.

Millions of Americans who hadn't voted in 30 years came out in 2016 to vote for Trump. If he betrays them, they'll say, "You see? I told you. They're all crooks."

No excuses will work. No fiery denunciations of the courts, the Democrats or La Raza will win them back, even if Trump comes up with demeaning Twitter names for them.

It would be an epic betrayal -- worse than Bush betraying voters on "no new taxes." Worse than LBJ escalating the Vietnam War. There would be nothing like it in the history of politics.

He's the commander in chief! He said he'd build a wall. If he can't do that, Trump is finished, the Republican Party is finished, and the country is finished.

COPYRIGHT 2017 ANN COULTER
DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

patentlymn

Re: 4/26/27 - Not Building the Wall IS a Government Shutdown

#2 Post by patentlymn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:34 pm

kermit wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:11 pm
Not Building the Wall IS a Government Shutdown

April 26, 2017

A failure to build the wall IS a government shutdown.

... Contrary to what you may have heard from various warmongers on TV and in Trump's Cabinet, that means defending our borders -- not Ukraine's borders.

Republicans are both corrupt and stupid, so it's hard to tell which one animates their opposition to the wall. But the Democrats are bluffing. They're trying to get the GOP to fold before they show us their pair of threes.

You can't say that at every campaign rally for 18 months and then not build a wall.

Best column in a long time. I just underlined the wittier parts.

Like she said, let the Democrats run on opposing the wall.

Joethenick

Re: 04/26/27 - Not Building the Wall IS a Government Shutdown

#3 Post by Joethenick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:09 am

Ann , will you please expose the fact that Janet Napolitano former Obama DHS Secretary is currently in charge of the California University System and thus responsible for Security ??? Why isn't this woman being taken to task ???

carriebnarry2B

2006 Pres Bush2 signed into law a 50 billion 700 mile wall

#4 Post by carriebnarry2B » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:13 am

Bush signs law to build fence at US-Mexico border found article on internet 4/24/2017

Friday, October 27, 2006-its already a law, already funded under Bush 2
Map of the U.S. to Mexico border.

A fence barrier separating Nogales, Arizona, from Nogales, Sonora, near the main downtown border crossing.

Border fence on the beach of Tijuana.
Today U.S. President George W. Bush signed into law the Secure Fence Act of 2006, a plan to build a 700 mile (1,125 kilometer) fence between the United States and Mexico, to prevent illegal immigration. Mexico has expressed strong opposition to the fence, which covers about one third of the total border length.

"Unfortunately, the United States has not been in complete control of its borders for decades and therefore illegal immigration has been on the rise," Bush was quoted saying. "Ours is a nation of immigrants. We're also a nation of law... We have a responsibility to address these challenges. We have a responsibility to enforce our laws. We have a responsibility to secure our borders. We take this responsibility seriously," the President explained.

Congress passed the bill last month with a convincing majority, but the signing has been delayed until now, 12 days before the mid-term elections in the U.S. Yesterday the president already envisioned funding and manpower increases for border control, and extra beds to counter the "catch-and-release at our southern border".

Earlier this month, Bush arranged a $1.2 billion budget for the fence, along with cameras, sensors, satellites and other security measures, to create a "21st-century" border —but the fence alone is roughly estimated to cost twice that amount. A U.S. poll this week showed that there are more Americans in favor of an increased number of Border Patrol agents, while less then half of those questioned agreed with the fence.

Exscotticus

#5 Post by Exscotticus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Trump should demand a modest down payment toward the construction of the wall (in exchange for a continuing resolution to fund the government). Even one dollar would be a symbolic victory. No one can claim that they're voting against a one-dollar-funded wall for economic reasons. That would leave purely political reasons, which is what this is really all about. Let the Dems explain why they're willing to shut down the government over a single dollar. I bet dollars would flood in to the WH from everywhere—each one representing a YES! vote to build the wall.

Outofbubblegum

#6 Post by Outofbubblegum » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Truly, do we need a wall? Nope. We need a four lane border highway that has 30 feet high sound barrier walls.

deez

#7 Post by deez » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:09 am

Aaah, you got punked by Trump. I'm so sorry to hear that your slobbering all over him during the election isn't going to pay off. Better luck next time.

syzygy

#8 Post by syzygy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:41 am

deez wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:09 am
Aaah, you got punked by Trump. I'm so sorry to hear that your slobbering all over him during the election isn't going to pay off. Better luck next time.
A little early for the, "nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah's", there bozo. Come back in about 4 years and try again.

Meanwhile, it's never to late to get a few of my own in on you butthurt, liberal idiots: "Trump won and Hillary lost--nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah."

:tongue:

Rubbing it in never gets old. Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.........

How sweet it is.

Dartip

#9 Post by Dartip » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 am

Closing the government is draining the swamp. So close that bitch down!!

VermontSurvivor

#10 Post by VermontSurvivor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:10 am

In regards to the building of the wall, have we heard anything or specifics about the increase in supplementary assets/tools/enforcement that will accompany the Boundary Fold(the wall is supposed to be aesthetically pleasing, so I figure I call it somethin' better)? The Great Wall of China was eventually infiltrated, but we have the advantage of modern technology. Drones, laser location gps etc. Also, should there be a barrier i.e a secondary wall before the primary one? Though fictional, consider the show The Walking Dead where masses are able to penetrate through all forms of barriers. I think blueprints and specs are needed to be available to the public for input as needed. Last thing we need is the "keep" of the castle to be overrun! Also, should there greater security on the east and west coasts? Let's go all out. Nothing half-baked. Ms. Coulter, your thoughts on this?

noone

#11 Post by noone » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 pm

What about the 40% of people that come by plane?

syzygy

#12 Post by syzygy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:34 pm

VermontSurvivor wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:10 am
In regards to the building of the wall, have we heard anything or specifics about the increase in supplementary assets/tools/enforcement that will accompany the Boundary Fold(the wall is supposed to be aesthetically pleasing, so I figure I call it somethin' better)? The Great Wall of China was eventually infiltrated, but we have the advantage of modern technology. Drones, laser location gps etc. Also, should there be a barrier i.e a secondary wall before the primary one? Though fictional, consider the show The Walking Dead where masses are able to penetrate through all forms of barriers. I think blueprints and specs are needed to be available to the public for input as needed. Last thing we need is the "keep" of the castle to be overrun! Also, should there greater security on the east and west coasts? Let's go all out. Nothing half-baked. Ms. Coulter, your thoughts on this?
The only thing "half baked" here is your lame attempt at sarcasm. And Ann has already shared her thoughts on "greater security on ...the coasts": reduced immigration from third world hellholes, or even better, a halt to ALL immigration until we're better situated--financially and culturally-- to accommodate the millions already here. If you got a better idea, we're all ears.

In the meantime, leave the sarcasm to the professionals, like Ann.

syzygy

#13 Post by syzygy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 pm

noone wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 pm
Yeah, what about those? And those that come by cruise ship, too. And...and...hot air balloon. And...and...and... :hm2: ...intergalactic spaceship. Perhaps we need a dome, not a wall.

(Or, maybe just better border security, a wall on our southern border being part of that, and smarter immigration policies. Ya think? :shrug:)

VermontSurvivor

#14 Post by VermontSurvivor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:49 pm

syzygy,

Thank you for your quick response and feedback! Much appreciation. Also, I commend you for your excellent language skill use. Clearly, you have strong opinions on immigration and reform. What do you think about as a way to reduce our welfare nation, we send able-bodied welfare recipients to third world countries?

navets13

#15 Post by navets13 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Before we build a wall, let's neutralize that law----1965 immigration law---first. Remove the legal justification for parasite infestation in this nation. :closed:

Tim Buktu

#16 Post by Tim Buktu » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Outofbubblegum wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm
Truly, do we need a wall? Nope. We need a four lane border highway that has 30 feet high sound barrier walls.
Not a bad idea. It should have no speed limit and be made exclusively for long-haul semi truck-trailers. The highway maintenance crews will need to use scrapers, sorta like gigantic spatulas.

SuperDave

#17 Post by SuperDave » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Tim Buktu wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:51 pm
Outofbubblegum wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm
Not a bad idea. It should have no speed limit and be made exclusively for long-haul semi truck-trailers. The highway maintenance crews will need to use scrapers, sorta like gigantic spatulas.
Hot Damn!
The NEW PATH TO CITIZENSHIP!

FROGGER!
:summiter2:

Sign me up to play!

coltakashi

#18 Post by coltakashi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:47 am

The Army Corps of Engineers has built dams all over the nation. Thry and the Navy SeaBees and Air Force Civil Engineering squadrons are experts in rapid construction in remote locations. And there are National Guard and Reserve engineer batallions. Use their labor to build the Wall and avoid the inflated cost of construction labor mandated by the Davis-Bacon Act. And military aircraft and trucks can deliver the materials. In areas with urgent need they could spread mines.

RobBobFromMonroeCT

#19 Post by RobBobFromMonroeCT » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:17 am

I am mystified by how anyone could not appreciate Ann's ever present wit and logic, fully evident in this excellent piece. Confession time first: I did not vote for Trump because of The Wall but more because I'm a poster child for what's wrong with America (60, can't find a decent job despite a bazillion years of experience and an MBA, sick of endless job interviews in Corporate America and witnessing unpronounceable nameplates...I WORK IN MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS FOLKS!!! WHEN DID A COMMAND OF NATIVE AMERICAN ENGLISH BECOME OPTIONAL OR EVEN A STRIKE AGAINST YOU FOR A GOOD JOB???? )

Yes, I have a proverbial missing part of my shoulder. Sign me up Mr. Trump.)

So I'm still not really a true believer in in The Magic of The Wall... but it's a damn good place to start. I feel entirely the same way about the litter crisis, covered so marvelously in a recent piece by the delightful Ann. Yes, it's impolite and impolitic to say or even hint that third-world cultures bring unsavory things into our borders. Wow, we are so boorish! There, in fact, seem to be a preponderance of used disposable diapers in America's parks and along city streets. I have in fact stepped on quite a few of them, and I'm quite sure who is leaving them there. Most of us Americans in polite places such as the nutty Nutmeg State actually had a bit of an existential crisis when we became parents over the subject of diapers... cloth or disposable? Service or DIY? Those pick up and delivery service eliminate the price advantage of disposables...but would anyone but us native born USAers experience such angst? Please.

And don't get me started on the subject of breastfeeding. It would seem that an immigrant family might easily fund their child's first year of college tuition with what they save by not purchasing disposable diapers, premixed infant formula and gas guzzling SUVs... but actually, with abundant race-based financial aid they won't have to do that, either.

But I digress and my last paragraph is a sparkling example of hate speech, is it not? I just want to say, Ann, that you nailed it on this one. As you always do. Keep go getting them and nag, scratch, hiss and rant at the Berkelelys of the world and maybe in a couple of months they'll pony up a sufficiently trained police force to protect your right to speak there.

Nabi Rasch

#20 Post by Nabi Rasch » Tue May 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Maybe it's time Ann started working on 'In Trump We Trusted'?!?-- Instant NYT best seller comic/tragedy.

Jakz

#21 Post by Jakz » Wed May 03, 2017 8:13 am

Why does the government have to be partially shutdown? Shutdowns were not SOP for budget impasses prior to the Carter administration. They became de rigueur after Carter's AG(Benjamin Civiletti) issued a 'legal opinion.' Legal opinions from administration AG's are law? Of course democrats are behind these shutdowns and they are the ones to howl the loudest.

syzygy

#22 Post by syzygy » Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 pm

VermontSurvivor wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:49 pm
syzygy,

Thank you for your quick response and feedback! Much appreciation. Also, I commend you for your excellent language skill use. Clearly, you have strong opinions on immigration and reform.
Not nearly so strong as my opinions on enforcement of the law of the land. The only thing worse than no enforcement is selective enforcement, which the Obama administration practiced on a near daily basis, and on more than just immigration.
What do you think about as a way to reduce our welfare nation, we send able-bodied welfare recipients to third world countries?
If the Democrats, liberals, and Bernie/Obama types continue dragging this country down the primrose-lined path paved with good intentions to some imagined socialist utopia, no need for all that. They'll already be in one.

ndplume

#23 Post by ndplume » Fri May 05, 2017 9:20 am

noone wrote:
Which means the wall will impede 60% of the problem. TRUMP - BUILD THAT WALL !
Let the airlines drag the other 40% off :^)

syzygy

#24 Post by syzygy » Fri May 05, 2017 10:30 am

ndplume wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:20 am
noone wrote:
Which means the wall will impede 60% of the problem. TRUMP - BUILD THAT WALL !
Let the airlines drag the other 40% off :^)
:ha:

:thumb:

BigBigFan

#25 Post by BigBigFan » Sat May 06, 2017 6:41 am

I've spent a lot of years living in California and I know a little bit about this, my 2 cents.

- Most illegals do not get into the U.S. by climbing or crossing any area where there would be a wall. They walk and drive through open checkpoints, literally, where most are never even spoken to or are asked fairly straight forward questions. So many people cross our southern border daily that it is IMPOSSIBLE to vet them all. A physical wall will only stop large scale drug smugglers from crossing on foot as easily, it will not affect the number of illegals entering. It's just simply not, and will never be, an entirely closed border.

That makes the term "The Wall" symbolic in nature, even if it's put in place. The real problem is that states like California have no incentive to further vet those who enter illegally, they've changed their approach from "keep America safe" to "Keep families together". Why? Because there is already a huge number of illegal aliens in the state that provide cheap labor to big corporations. Until that changes, and corporations are made to pay up and governors are made to pay for ignoring existing border law transgretions NOTHING will change, wall or not.

My suggestion: Take Trump to task for not following through with his promise, but don't for one second think a wall would have made a difference. It was only symbolic and, clearly, globalists have a lot of sway where they should have none. Now that we can work on.

CONCERN: If you do not vet illegals it's not just security you risk, it's health! It seems there is a renewed push for vaccinating Americans, even shaming them to do so and coming up with new words to call them if they don't(anti-vaxxer?) but the reality is that Americans are already largely immune to threats... it's migrants who are most at risk when they arrive, or who most risk everyone else. Controlling the border IS controlling health threats... and it's better than being shamed if you don't buy into vaccines 100% even while they hand out new and untested designer ones like candy yearly.

How many illegal aliens who cross into America or overstay a temporary visa get a health check or criminal check? none, and that's dangerous for everyone, them included.